Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Favorites: Green Bean Casserole

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. This is a great time to create in the kitchen and turn your favorite fall foods into wonderful meals. I'll try to share a few of my favorite fall treats in time for Thanksgiving.

Green bean casserole has always been one of my favorite comfort foods and the thing I looked forward to most on Thanksgiving. However, when I stopped eating highly processed foods like condensed cream of mushroom soup, canned green beans and fried onions I wasn't sure how I was going to enjoy this dish. I've been perfecting an alternative recipe that I like even better than my old favorite. Hope you all feel the same. Enjoy!

Green Bean Casserole
Yields 8-10 1/2 cup servings

Ingredients
1 pound green beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces and cooked in boiling water until tender
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 pound crimini or wild mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown rice flour
3/4 c. veggie or chicken stock
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (available at health food stores)
1 tbsp. tamari
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 - 1 whole medium onion, sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. In a large saute pan melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. When oil is hot add mushrooms and onion, sauteing until onions are clear and mushrooms have released liquid. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two.
  3. In a medium baking dish combine cooked green beans with the mushroom, onion and garlic mixture and set aside
  4. In a medium saute pan over low/medium heat melt the butter. Once melted, slowly whisk in the flour until a roux is formed. Whisk in the stock, nutritional yeast, tamari and thyme, stirring continuously until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
  5. Combine the sauce with the green bean mixture and set aside.
  6. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and saute until caramelized (10-20min). You may need to lower the heat once the onions are brown to prevent burning.
  7. While the onions are caramelizing, bake your casserole until heated through (10-15min).
  8. Top the casserole with the caramelized onions and serve.
I just made this recipe and really enjoyed it. I might even use more mushrooms next time I make it because they're delicious. Happy Holidays!! :)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I will definitely try this along with the raw cranberry dish :) wish you were here turkey day to cook for us! lol
    xo aunt amy

    ReplyDelete