Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm baaaaaaaack!!!!!

Hey Everyone!!!!

I have finally returned after my 1+ year hiatus. Let me tell you a little bit about where I've been. I stopped posting while in culinary school, telling myself that I was too busy and too stressed, but I don't think that was necessarily true. Culinary school challenged me in ways I couldn't have imagined - especially in regards to my beliefs surrounding food and the way I prepare it. For most people this wouldn't be a big deal, but for me, with health and food being
such huge parts of my life, it meant I had some soul searching to do. Luckily, I had the perfect place to do it.
After I graduated I was blessed with a wonderful opportunity to work on a raw vegan farm and retreat center. I began as an intern working under the talented and lovable chef, Diane, a.k.a. the "Raw Auzzie." Diane taught me that raw food can taste great, look amazing, and be unbelievably creative. She trained me into her position as Head Chef, where I learned how to manage a kitchen and exercise creativity inspired by our own seasonal produce.
The eight months I spent off the grid in beautiful and quiet Sedro-Woolley allowed me the soul searching I needed. I have seen and experienced the extremes in both the food and health worlds and have discovered my happy balance. I have found much joy in creating food that tastes great and makes me feel good. Right now, for me, that means a vegan diet with limited gluten intake and an emphasis on raw foods.

I acknowledge that not everyone is the same and that each person requires a different diet tailored to what specifically meets their ideal tastes and health needs. I encourage everyone to experiment with what feels right to them. I welcome you to draw inspiration from my own journey and the recipes I've discovered along the way. Try them out and see if they work for you. And, of course, have fun!!

My first recipe I'll share is a brussels sprout recipe I came up with in culinary school and that I've been making a lot lately. Brussels sprouts get a bad rap, but they can really taste great. The way I prepare them in this recipe cuts their bitterness and is quite yummy :)

Thai Inspired Brussels Sprouts

Yields: 6-8 ½ cup servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ large yellow onion, sliced
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ lime, juiced
1 teaspoon soy sauce, tamari, coconut aminos, or nama shoyu
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 cups brussels sprouts leaves
2 tablespoons raisins, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped

Directions

  1. Melt the coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat adding the yellow onion when hot. Sauté until the onions start to sweat.
  2. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
  3. Stir in the lime juice, soy sauce, coconut milk, and apple cider vinegar and bring to a simmer, uncovered.
  4. Add the brussels sprout leaves and sauté until tender, but still a bit crunchy (about 5 minutes).
  5. Stir in the raisins and peanuts and sauté for another minute. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment